Saturday, March 30, 2013

My Sandwich!!

    Another day filled with traveling. Well, part of it. First thing to do this morning was finish packing. Then a book meeting. We're currently reading "The Quiet American" (I keep calling it the unquiet American). There is a movie adaptation with Michael Caine and Brendon Fraiser. The characters are not very likable which never helps but thinking of Caine and Fraiser in their comedy roles then playing these guys is helping quite a bit.
    Had a sandwich off the street for brunch. Since it had been raining earlier many of the sandwich places where closed but found one open. There was another lady there who I assumed was the vendor's friend or helper from the way they were talking to each other and to me. The lady asked me what I wanted and started making what I thought was my sandwich. When she was done the 'helper' grabbed the sandwich and took off running like the police were after her. The sandwich lady waited for me to recover before asking what I wanted again like nothing had happened. At least the sandwich was good.
    Donna and I are missing the next book. In America it's called "The Sorrows of War" but in Vietnam the title of it is "The Sorrows of Love". Apparently Americans are more interested in reading about war than love. However, all the bookstores around our hotel were completely in Vietnamese. The workers, the books, the signs were all in Vietnamese. So instead I spent some of my remaining dong on shoes.
    After we got through security at the airport all of us went shopping. Dong isn't used anywhere else so we either had to spend it or turn it into another currency. The airport was small but had plenty of shopping places. They were all the same shop, but there was a lot of them.
    Had to sit by Lilith. Again. I'm starting to believe that I am put in charge of her, that Drexler thinks I can handle this responsibility. It's actually because our last names are at the end of the alphabet.Thankfully the flights are less than an hour or they have movies to choose from so it's easy to ignore her.
    We are the first Asia Term to come here. It's all thanks to Lilith who's half Laotian and her dad wanting her to meet his side of the family. That's happening tomorrow. Perhaps getting sick suddenly would be the ideal way to deal with meeting a family of Nazis. This is her first time meeting her dad's family so we are expecting her to hate them immensely and the day to be awkward or they will make her their new leader. Who knows, maybe they'll be completely normal and fun and we'll have a good time. Following the catch phrase of this Asia Term, things change.
    Happy Nothing Happened to Jesus Saturday!! When we realized it was Easter it was a major shock. There aren't bunnies and eggs everywhere like usual.

Picture Count: 48

No comments: